Understanding Overdraft Protection
Think of Overdraft Protection as insurance for your transactions. It ensures that even if funds are low, your essential payments aren’t compromised. At First Service, we prioritize your financial security. Our diverse solutions, including the Courtesy Pay program1 and Overdraft Transfer,2 are designed to offer flexibility and peace of mind.
Compare Overdraft Protection Options
All eligible accounts are automatically opted in to Courtesy Pay for checks, electronic payments, and transactions processed through the Automatic Clearing House (ACH). If you would like Courtesy Pay to also pay one-time debit and ATM transactions, all you have to do is opt in.
Select and combine one or more Overdraft Protection programs to ensure adequate coverage and peace of mind. If you have Overdraft Transfer combined with Courtesy Pay, we will always pay the overdraft by transfer method before using Courtesy Pay. Courtesy Pay fees are waived on all transactions of $5.00 or less.
|Overdraft Transfer||Courtesy Pay (Standard)||Courtesy Pay (Additional)|
|How It Works||If your account is overdrawn, we'll automatically transfer funds from your savings account or line of credit to pay checks, online bill payments, debit card purchases, and ATM withdrawals.||This option is included with your account if you meet certain criteria. We generally let your online bill payments and checks go through but decline debit card transactions and ATM withdrawals.||If you select this option, we may authorize debit card transactions and ATM withdrawals that overdraw your account.|
|ATM Overdrafts||Covered for $5.00||Declined||Covered for $30.00|
|Debit Card Overdrafts||Covered for $5.00||Declined||Covered for $30.00|
|Online Bill Payment Overdrafts||Covered for $5.00||Covered for $30.00||Covered for $30.00|
|Check Overdrafts||Covered for $5.00||Covered for $30.00||Covered for $30.00|
|ACH Transaction Overdrafts||Covered for $5.00||Covered for $30.00||Covered for $30.00|
Overdraft Protection FAQs
Courtesy Pay is an extension of Overdraft Protection. When you opt-in to Courtesy Pay, you are also opting-in to Overdraft Protection.
Courtesy Pay is a service offered to checking account members and provides a limited level of protection from non-sufficient fund (NSF) service charges for returned checks and declined ATM or debit card transactions. Members must opt in to extend Courtesy Pay coverage to include ATM or debit card transactions that overdraw the account. It is not a loan — it is a courtesy extended to qualified members in good standing to cover items, up to your eligible limit. We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means that we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transactions.
- You use your debit card, conduct a transfer, or write a check from your checking account.
- If funds are not available, and you have exhausted your other overdraft resources, Courtesy Pay will allow transactions to clear your account up to your eligible amount based on the Courtesy Pay coverage on your account. Checks, electronic transactions, and recurring debits are included in the standard Courtesy Pay program. Members must opt in for extended coverage that includes one-time debit card and ATM transactions.
- We will assess a $30.00 service charge for each transaction over $5.00 that is covered by your selected Courtesy Pay option. You will not be assessed a Courtesy Pay service charge for transactions of $5.00 or less.
Click on Additional Services in the menu under Settings.
Click Courtesy Pay to see an explanation of the service, and a list of any accounts eligible for Courtesy Pay with an on/off switch to the right of each one.
The toggle will be gray if the account has not “Opted In.”
Click on the accounts that you want to “Opt In” and the toggles will turn green.
After you’ve made your selections, check the box to agree to the terms and click Save Changes to enroll the account(s) into Courtesy Pay.
- Once you’ve logged in to digital banking, navigate to Overdraft Transfer Protection under Accounts.
- You will see a dropdown menu that shows all of your accounts that are eligible for overdraft protection.
- Select the account for which you'd like to set up overdraft protection.
- Once you've selected an account, you can Add, Delete, or Arrange the overdraft settings by following the prompts on screen.