Print this page


What is a credit union?

A credit union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative that is owned by its members. The primary function of the credit union is to serve its members. The Board of Directors is unpaid volunteers elected by the member-owners. All members of the credit union have equal voting rights, regardless of the amount on deposit. Annual earnings are passed on to the members in the form of lower loan rates, higher dividends and improved services.

Are my funds insured at a credit union?

All funds deposited at credit unions are federally insured to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the Federal Government.

Who regulates credit unions?

The Texas Credit Union Department (TCUD) and the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) regulate state-chartered credit unions in the State of Texas–like FSCU. Credit unions are subject to much of the same consumer regulations as other financial institutions. In some cases, such as investments and mortgage lending, credit unions must adhere to more strict regulations.

I just wanted a loan. Why do I need a savings account?

Your savings account establishes your membership with the Credit Union. Once your savings account is opened, you may apply for any other service or loan product we have to offer.

What are your hours?

First Service operates 8 branches in and around the Greater Houston area. The Hours of Operation and access vary from branch-to-branch depending on the location. Click here for a map of our locations and the hours of operation for each.

How do I change my address?

Complete the online Address Change form located within Home Banking.

What is your Routing Number?

313090561 A routing transit number or a routing number is a nine digit bank code used in the United States.  It appears on the bottom of a negotiable instrument such as checks.  This identifies which financial institution it is drawn upon. Routing numbers are also used by the Automated Clearing House to process direct deposits and other automated transfers such as ACH transactions.

How do I remove a joint owner from my account?

Due to federal regulations, you are unable to remove a joint from an account.  If you need to remove an individual from your account, you will need to close the account and open a new one.  You may call the Contact Center at 713-676-7777 for specific instructions or visit one of our convenient locations.

Who can I call for questions?

Call our Service Center at 713-676-7777 or 800-678-5197 from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM CST, Monday through Friday and 9 AM to 2 PM CST on Saturday.

View category→

Debit & Credit Cards

Why doesn’t my debit card work at the ATM machine to access my Courtesy Pay?

In order to access your Courtesy Pay via an ATM machine, you are required to Opt In.  You may Opt In via home banking by clicking on “Other Options”, then choosing Courtesy Pay Opt In and Opt Out.  You may also call the Service Center by dialing 713-676-7777 or by visiting one of our convenient locations.

I forgot the PIN number to my debit card. How do I obtain another one?

If you live near any of our convenient locations, you may simply stop by and set up a new PIN number. You may also contact us at 800-505-2184 to set up a new PIN.  *Please note: our STP location is a restricted access branch and is not available to all members.

What is Courtesy Pay?

Courtesy Pay is a credit union product that automatically pays transactions when a checking account is overdrawn. There is no charge for having the Courtesy Pay feature unless it is utilized. Otherwise, it is $30.00 for each transaction covered.


  • It is discreet.
  • No embarrassment of bouncing a check or ACH transaction.
  • No merchant fees for a returned check or ACH transaction.
  • Courtesy Pay eliminates the chance that the transaction will be reported to a check reporting service.
  • The checking account will be covered to a negative balance up to the qualifying amount.

Requirements for Courtesy Pay:

  • Age of 18 or older
  • Qualifying Checking account in good standing (*Excludes the Fresh Start Checking)
  • No delinquent loans
  • No tax levies
  • Account must be at a positive balance at least once every twenty days

What should I do to report that my card was lost or stolen?

If your card is lost or stolen, contact us as soon as possible to block your card.  During business hours, you may call 713-676-7777 and after hours you may call 1-800-678-5197.  Check your account to make sure you don’t have any unauthorized transactions.

My card is about to expire and I have not receive my renewal card. What should I do?

Normally you will receive your renewal in the mail on the third week of the previous month your card is due to expire.  If you have not received it by the third week of the previous month, call the Service Center at 713-676-7777 to reorder a new one and you should receive it within 7 to 10 business days.  If you prefer, you may walk into one of our convenient locations for an instant issue.  *Please note: Some branches are restricted access locations (Oak Park, Northbelt and STP).

View category→


What should I do if I don’t recognize a charge on my checking account?

If you don’t recognize a charge on your account, please contact FSCU immediately to discuss it further. If you believe a debit or credit card transaction is fraudulent, please contact us at 713-676-7777 immediately to freeze your card. This can be done through the automated system or by speaking to one of our agents.

How can I get check copies?

To obtain free check copies, simply log into your home banking account and print copies at your convenience.  You may also visit any of our convenient locations or by contacting the Service Center at 713-676-7777.  Check copies obtained via a branch or by contacting the Service Center are $2.00 each.

How do I order checks?

If you are ordering checks for the first time, you can call us at 713-676-7777 or visit any of our branches. If you have ordered checks before and none of your personal information has changed, you can order by clicking on the button below or you can log into home banking and click “Check Options”, and then press “Reorder Checks.

Order Checks

How do I check my balance?

Checking your balance is easy. You can check anytime with Online and Mobile Banking, or you can call our Automated Phone System by dialing 713-676-7777. You can also use our chat feature up in the top right corner of this screen to chat with someone, or if you want to see a smiling face, come on into a branch.

Do I need to go into a branch to make a deposit?

In addition to our 8 local branches, you can make deposits and conduct many other transactions at over 5,000 Shared Branch locations around the country. You can also deposit checks without leaving the house using our Mobile Banking app.

View category→

Online & Mobile Banking

I am locked out of Online Banking. How can I reset my password?

If you are locked out of Online Banking or need to reset your password, you may call the Service Center at 713-676-7777 or 800-678-5197 or visit one of our convenient locations. One of our friendly representatives will be more than happy assist you.

How do I obtain my one-time Mobile Banking PIN?

First-time users will need to download the First Service Mobile Banking app and log in.  Once logged in, the program will generate an email with a support code. The email will come from and it will provide your one-time PIN number.  You will need to log back into the mobile app with your username as well as enter your password and add the one-time PIN number to the end of your password.  For example, if your password is apple, and your one-time PIN is 5555, you would enter apple5555.  Once you have successfully logged in, log out and log back in using only your password.

To reset your Mobile Banking PIN you may call the Service Center at 713-676-7777 or 800-678-5197, or visit one of our convenient locations.

Can I view all of my accounts at First Service with one login?

Yes, this includes investment accounts, CDs, checking and savings accounts, loans, credit cards and mortgages.

Can I view a summary of all deposits and debits?

Yes. We’re committed to making your banking experience easy.

Can I transfer money from one First Service account to another?

Yes, you can make transfers between your own accounts within your own login. You can also transfer money to another individual through Online Bill Pay.

Can I designate a beneficiary?

We’re happy to assist you with this at a physical branch location.

Can I pay a loan from a third party?

Yes. Just as you can pay another entity through Bill Pay, you’re able to pay anyone through the home banking platform.

Can I see the minor accounts I am a co-signer on?

Yes. If you are a co-signer on a minor’s account, you’ll have full access.

How do I redeem my Debit Rewards in Online Banking?

The Debit Rewards platform opens in a new tab or window, which requires that you have pop-ups enabled in your web browser. For complete instructions on how to do this in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, check this article.

What browsers are supported for Online Banking and Bill Pay?

In order to avoid connection disruptions or security issues, we recommend using one the following browsers:

  • Internet Explorer version 11 or above
  • Any version of MS Edge
  • Firefox version 31 or above
  • Safari version or newer
  • Google Chrome version 42 or above
View category→


How much is the late fee on a regular loan?

The late fee is 5% of the payment due, up to a $25.00 maximum.

What is a grace period?

A grace period is the time frame after your payment due date and the time before a late fee is assessed.  For regular loans and mortgage loans, our grace period is 15 days.  A late fee will be assessed on the 16th day.  For credit cards, our grace period is 10 days.

Do I qualify for a Skip-A-Pay?

To qualify for Skip-A-Pay:

  • The loan cannot be a real estate loan, home improvement loan, home equity loan, home equity line of credit (HELOC), Visa® credit card, CD secured loan, or a balloon payment loan.
  • The loan must have been open for at least 6 months.
  • The loan must have had at least 3 months of consecutive on-time payments.
  • Member must not have been more than 30 days delinquent during the past year on any loan.
  • Member cannot have had two skipped payments in the past year.
  • Member cannot have any currently past due loans.
  • Member cannot have a negative share.

How do I obtain my title once I have paid off my loan?

If your loan is paid-in-full, you will receive the title within 10 to 12 business days.  It will be mailed to the address we have on file.  If you need the title immediately, the loan must be paid off with a Cashier’s Check or cash and we must verify with the title department that we have the title on file.  If it is an E-Title it is usually printed by the state and mailed directly to the owner.

How do I request a Release of Lien?

To request a Release of Lien, simply send us a request via email, call the Service Center at 713-676-7777 or 800-678-5197, or visit one of our convenient locations.  Please have the information below in order for our Title Department to process your request:

  • Name on the account
  • Account number
  • Loan number
  • If it is a vehicle, the VIN Number
  • Year/Make and Model would be extremely helpful
  • For a mortgage, include the property address

How can I make a loan payment from another institution?

The most convenient way to make a loan payment from another financial institution is by logging into Home Banking and clicking on “Transfer From Another F.I.”.   You may also click on the “Loan Payment” Icon and click on “Schedule loan payment from another financial institution”.  From there, enter the appropriate information.  Other options are to visit one of our convenient locations or call the Service Center at 713-676-7777 or 800-678-5197, and one of our friendly representatives will be happy to assist you.

View category→

Wire Transfer Instructions

How do I send/receive a wire?

All wires are conducted through online Home Banking or by visiting one of our branches.  Please follow these simple instructions:

Incoming Wires

In order to receive a wire to your First Service Credit Union account, you will need the following information:

  • Our Routing Number: 313090561
  • The receiving 13 digit account number
  • Beneficiary name (person receiving the funds)
  • The receiving institution name (ex. First Service Credit Union)

16430 Park Ten Place

Houston, TX 77084

**Incoming wires are processed throughout the day until 5:00 p.m. Central time, free of charge.**


Outgoing Wires

The information needed may vary via each institution. Contact the financial institution to obtain their particular wire instructions. You will need the following:

  • Their Routing Number
  • The Account Number
  • The Beneficiary’s Name
  • Name and Address of the financial institution receiving the funds.

**Outgoing wires are processed at 1:00 p.m. CST each business day.  Requests made after 1:00 p.m. will process the following day.**

How much does it cost to send/receive a wire?

Our Domestic Wire Fee is $15.00 via Home Banking and $20.00 in person. Our International Wire Fee is $40.00 via Home Banking and $45.00 in person.

View category→

Courtesy Pay

What is Courtesy Pay?

Courtesy Pay is a service offered to members with a checking account that can provide a limited level of protection from non-sufficient fund (NSF) fees for returned checks and declined ATM or debit card transactions. It is not a loan— it is a courtesy extended to qualified members in good standing to cover items, up to your eligible limit. We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means that we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transactions.

Do I have to apply for Courtesy Pay?

Federal regulations require you to opt in if you would like to authorize the Courtesy Pay service for one-time debit and ATM transactions, such as at a store, online, or over the phone. Other types of transactions, including checks, ACH transactions, and recurring debits are not a part of the regulation and are covered using our standard Courtesy Pay program for eligible accounts.

You may opt in through Online Banking by clicking “Courtesy Pay” under the “Accounts” tab and then checking the box next to appropriate checking account. Once you click “Submit,” Courtesy Pay will be enabled on that checking account. You can opt out at any time by unchecking the box. You may also opt in or opt out by calling the Service Center at 713-676-7777 or 800-234-8076 or by visiting one of our convenient locations.

How does Courtesy Pay work?

1.) You use your debit card or write a check from your checking account
2.) If funds are not available, and you have exhausted your other overdraft resources, Courtesy Pay will allow your transaction to clear your account up to your eligible amount
3.) We will assess a $30 fee for each transaction covered by Courtesy Pay

What is actual balance versus available balance?

There are many circumstances that will affect your to the funds in your accounts. Many of these transactions are beyond the Credit Union’s control as they are requirements of the payment networks that your transactions are processed through via the merchants with whom you choose to do business. Also, we may place holds on various deposits as explained in our Funds Availability Policy and explained elsewhere. Thus, your account records may show an “Actual Balance” and an “Available Balance.” The Actual Balance is the total amount of funds in your account(s). The Available Balance is the amount of the Actual Balance that is available for transactions (withdrawals. Write checks, debit transactions, online banking, or other authorized transactions). You should take care only to make transactions against the Available Balance as these are the only funds you may access for transactions. If you exceed the “Available Balance” (even though the “Actual Balance” may be greater) you may overdraw your account as new or additional transactions cannot be processed until funds are available for transactions. This may result in Insufficient Funds Transactions, Returned Items, and Fees including Overdraft Protection Fees as a result of exceeding your Available Balance. To know the Available Balance, you may login to online banking at or call our Contact Center at 713.676.7777. Also, be sure you understand the order in which your transactions are paid as explained in the Funds Availability Policy so that you may avoid making transactions that exceed your Available Balance.

How will Courtesy Pay benefit me?

Courtesy Pay will save you non-sufficient fund (NSF) fees and embarrassment from merchants when you make a mistake in your checkbook, have an unplanned expense, or run short on cash between paydays. Instead of returning checks unpaid, FSCU may automatically pay them if you qualify.

Who qualifies for Courtesy Pay?

Members with accounts in good standing may qualify for Courtesy Pay when the account is opened at least thirty days. Good standing means that there are no credit union loan obligations in default, there are no liens for any legal or administrative order, and the checking account balance is positive for at least 24 hours in any 30-day period.

How much will Courtesy Pay cover?

The total amount you can overdraw using Courtesy Pay will depend how long you have been member and whether or not you have a direct deposit set up on your checking account.

Courtesy Pay Limits
Account Types Length of Membership Direct Deposit Courtesy Pay Limit
Checking Account Less than 1 Month N/A $0
Less than 1 Year No $500
Yes $750
More than 1 Year No $1000
Yes $1300

How is Courtesy Pay different from Overdraft Protection?

If you have established Overdraft Protection to transfer funds from your savings or line of credit, we will always pay the overdraft by this method before using Courtesy Pay.

Is Courtesy Pay a loan?

No. The credit union is allowing you to overdraw your account to your Courtesy Pay limit as a non-contractual courtesy. This discretionary service can be withdrawn at any time by the credit union.

Is there a monthly fee?

No. The only time you are assessed a fee is when you overdraw your checking account, and Courtesy Pay covers the overdrawn amount.

Is there a charge for Courtesy Pay?

There is a standard Courtesy Pay fee of $30.00 per transaction when you overdraw your checking account. The advantage is that you will avoid the inconvenience of having to pay a fee to a merchant and the possibility of ruining your good credit.

How will I know when my account is overdrawn?

We provide online access 24/7 to your accounts as well as monthly statements to let you know your available account balance. You can also enable free eAlerts to immediately notify you of account activity including overdrafts. Periodically, we may also send you reminder letters advising you of your overdrawn account until you bring your account to a positive balance once it has gone over 10 days.

How long do I have to repay the overdrawn amount?

You have up to 30 days to pay any overdrawn amount, including Courtesy Pay fees. However, depending on the situation, we can ask for repayment at any time. Any deposits you make will be applied to an overdrawn balance first.

Will this affect my credit rating?

This has no effect on your credit rating if you bring your overdrawn account to a positive balance in a timely manner, which we ask you to do within the required 30 days.

View category→